Vitals New York
Join Vitals today and help us to empower everyone to shop for their health care like an expert. There are no companies better positioned to do this than Vitals and we’re looking for passionate product professionals to execute on this mission.
We do this by creating an efficient health care marketplace for consumers – making them aware of the cost, quality, and availability of health care provider options. We bring together the pieces needed for consumers to become experts – actionable data, digital tools, analytics, search algorithms and cash incentives, saving them meaningful dollars in the process. We deliver these capabilities to America’s health plans, an enterprise market that we see as the best opportunity to affect the greatest amount of change in health care.
Join Vitals, we have a small but extremely talented Design team and we're looking for a motivated, highly experienced User Experience Team Leader that understands user-centered design and all of its facets and how they come together to bring great user experiences to life. This is a coach-player role that will be managing a small, high impact team along with working cross-functionally with Product and Engineering to drive successful outcomes. As a leader within the product team, you will be integral to the research, discovery, idea-generation, design, testing, and development process.
In this position, you'll be responsible for:
- Design Leadership: The UX Director will lead a team of multi-disciplinary designers as we apply Design Thinking to the Vitals products. In leading this effort, the UX Director will formulate the vision for how design at Vitals is practiced, and mentor and direct others to execute on the vision. Ascertaining where colleagues would like to grow their skills and providing meaningful mentorship is a big part of this role.
- Client-Facing Representations: The UX Director will represent the design of Vitals products to our clients. The UX Director will be expected to work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure alignment on the design of the clients’ implementations and ensure everyone is satisfied with the finished product.
- Practice of Design: When not liaising with internal and external stakeholders, or leading the design team, the UX Director may be required to step-in and roll up their sleeves executing designs for various projects. It goes without saying that their individual ability in doing this should be world-class.
- User needs research and usability: Build out our approach to both user research and usability evaluation and ensure we take a data (both qualitative and quantitative) driven approach to U/X.
- Interface Prototyping: Be able to derive cohesive theories based on research and translate them into interactions that be used for insights, information iteration and validate assumptions.
- Interaction Design: Understand and facilitate the creation of interaction designs based on the appropriate use of interface patterns that solve for user-centered needs.
- Champion UX: Advocate for the user and for user-centered processes in all things, both to internal stakeholders and external clients.
You might be a good fit if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Computer Interaction, User Experience Design, Interaction Design, Information Architecture, User Interface Design, Human Factors, Graphic Design, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience as a practicing digital designer, with 5+ years in a management/leadership role.
- Must be articulate and competently present to clients and senior stakeholders.
- Must have deep experience at all stages of the user-centered design process demonstrating excellence along to the way. For instance: all aspects of setting up, executing, and synthesizing design research; all aspects of product definition including personas, journeys, flows, wires; all aspects of finished UI design including pixel-perfect detailed design, product specifications, etc.
- Must know and be able to teach technique mastery across all major product design software: I.E. Adobe Suite, Sketch, InVision, etc.
- Code-based prototyping skills are a plus, but not required.
- Has worked in a product design capacity in the past and their work has shipped to live users.
- Experience working with development teams side-by-side through an agile process.
- Must have a strong competency in understanding data (whether from user research, site analytics, qualitative or quantitative) and be able to synthesize and prioritize findings.
- Very strong interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated experience planning and facilitating user research among individuals and groups to derive problem statements, personas, process flows and user stories.
- A portfolio showing impactful design of user experiences.
- Located in the NYC-metro area or is willing to relocate on their own.